2018 Candy Striper Program
We are very excited about our 2018 Candy Striper Volunteer Program. The goal is to provide positive, energetic students (ages 14 to 18) who are possibly interested in health care or other real world experience with an environment and an opportunity to learn, help others, build friendships, and give back. The program also provides assistance to departments that could use extra sets of hands. The Candy Striper Volunteers also help to make the hospital a little happier and friendlier. Volunteering can be a rewarding way to spend your summer! Please be sure to take a look at the program overview and requirements as we are implementing some changes this year. Note that due to the volume of applications we receive, and the specific requirements of the program, we are unable to place every applicant.
- Applications will be accepted April 16 through April 30.
- Group interviews will be conducted from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. on May 15, 16, 17.
- Mandatory orientation for both 2018 sessions will be held 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on June 6.
- Session 1: June 11 through June 29
- Session 2: July 9 through July 27
- Volunteer hours for each session are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Acceptance into the program is contingent upon the completion of the following steps:
- Must be at least 14 years old by the date of orientation.
- Completed online application
- Health screening by MUSC Employee Health Service
- Immunization records (2 MMR, 2 Varicella) need to be provided at screening for successful clearance.
- One letter of recommendation (teacher, guidance counselor, employer, leader of an organization the student is involved in, etc.) brought in during interview.
During the program, volunteers will come in Monday through Friday (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.) for three weeks and work with specific departments throughout the hospital. Participants will be allowed two excused absences per session. Uniforms, hospital ID’s, $5 per day for lunch, and parking will be provided.
We would hate for you to miss out on information disseminated via the Post Office or through email. If you've experienced an email or address change recently, or can't recall receiving emails and/or our holiday cards - please let us know so we may "update" your contact information in Volgistics. Stop by Volunteer Services or email Cathy Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org.