Pastoral Care Services is committed to providing care that respects the religious and spiritual values of all patients, family members and staff persons.
Our Services Include:
- Spiritual Support
- Support through experiences of pain, suffering & loss, or change of health status
- Coping with hospitalization & treatment
- Specific faith tradition options are offered
- Guidance in decision-making: treatment options, transition concerns, end-of-life choices
- Assistance with Advance Directives--Living Wills and Health Care Power of Attorney (see below)
- Notary Public, Ombudsman
Chaplains provide and facilitate:
- Seasonal Worship Services
- Memorial Services
- Grief and Support Services, as requested
- Anatomical Gift Service/MUSC’s Body Donation Program
- Religious ministry including prayer, blessings, baptisms, communion, other religious rituals, sacraments
A chaplain is available and on-call in the hospital 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Chaplains seek to respect fully all religious and spiritual needs. Staff chaplains seek to meet needs as they arise, but there are also instances where clergy of specific religious affiliation can be called and accessed for patient needs.
In South Carolina, if you are 18 years of age, you have the right to make your own healthcare decisions. This right includes the ability to decide what medical care or treatment to accept, reject or discontinue. The best way to make your wishes known is to discuss them with your family and your healthcare provider and execute an Advance Directive.
South Carolina law recognizes the following Advance Directives:
- Living Will
- Health Care Power of Attorney
- Five Wishes
If you have questions about signing Advance Directives, talk with your doctor, minister, priest, rabbi or other health or religious professional. MUSC Health chaplains are available to help you with these healthcare decisions.
- South Carolina Advance Directives
- Printable PDF form - Declaration of a Desire for a Natural Death
- Printable PDF form - Health Care Power of Attorney
Other online resources:
Save the Date
Thursday, September 20, 2018, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
“Empowering Sacred Conversations for End of Life Care”
MUSC Invites clergy and faith communities of the Lowcountry to a Free Spiritual Care Forum
MUSC Community Training Center
1 South Park Circle
Conference Room 301A
Charleston, SC 29407