Heart Health Program
You can take steps to prevent or manage many of the risk factors for heart disease, including obesity, smoking, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes.
The Seinsheimer Cardiovascular Health Program at MUSC Health’s Heart & Vascular Center offers programs and services designed to help you enjoy a longer, healthier life. We teach you how to take control of heart disease risk factors.
Heart Health at the MUSC Health Heart & Vascular Center
When you participate in MUSC Health’s Seinsheimer Cardiovascular Health Program, you benefit from:
- Comprehensive diagnostic screening tools: We conduct comprehensive screenings for heart disease risk factors like diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. We also offer cardiac calcium scoring. This CT scan of your heart assesses your heart disease risk by measuring the amount of calcified plaque in your coronary arteries.
- A supportive team: Our heart health team knows that it isn’t easy to lose weight, stop smoking or make other lifestyle changes. We are here to help you succeed. Meet our team.
- Helpful resources: At MUSC Health, you have access to a wide array of healthy living resources. We offer:
- Supervised exercise program: You don’t have to have a heart problem in order to participate in our cardiac rehab program. Our cardiac rehab team can safely get you started on the road to physical fitness, helping you build stamina and strength. Learn more about cardiac rehab.
- Care where you need it: Our heart experts are in your community so you can get care closer to home. You can participate in our heart health program at the Heart & Vascular Center located at Ashley River Tower or at our clinic locations in Mount Pleasant and West Ashley.
Statin Intolerance Clinic
Sometimes you need to try different cholesterol-lowering medications, called statins, before you find the one that works best for you with the fewest side effects. Experts at our Statin Intolerance Clinic will get you on the right medication path.
At MUSC Health’s Statin Intolerance Clinic, we provide:
- Intensive nutrition counseling: Our registered dietitians have specialized expertise in creating heart healthy meal plans that take into consideration your specific cholesterol problem.
- Alternative treatment options: Through MUSC Health’s standing as a medical research institution, our doctors have access to investigational medications that may be a good fit for you. In addition, our team is experienced in using a mix of different treatments, including cholesterol-absorption inhibitors, alternative statin dosing strategies and low-dose multiple drug regimens.
- Supplements: When appropriate, our doctors may recommend the use of scientifically proven cholesterol-lowering supplements, such as stanols.
MUSC Health LDL Apheresis Program
MUSC Health’s LDL Apheresis Program is the only one in South Carolina. This nonsurgical therapy removes low density lipids (LDL, or bad cholesterol) from your blood during a process that is similar to dialysis.
Your doctor may recommend apheresis if:
- Medications do not effectively lower your cholesterol levels to a safe number
- You have an inherited condition known as familial hypercholesterolemia (FH)
To learn more about services available at the MUSC Heart & Vascular Center or to schedule an appointment, please call 843-792-1616.
Refer a Patient
Submit an online appointment referral form or call our 24-hour referring physician service, MEDULINE, at 800-922-5250.