- Downtown Charleston at the main MUSC campus in Rutledge Tower (9th floor)
- MUSC Health West Ashley Medical Pavilion
- MUSC Health East Cooper Medical Pavilion (Mount Pleasant)
The pain management care team offers a wide variety of services to our patients. The following is a list of some of the most common procedures we perform:
- Cervical, thoracic and lumbar epidural steroid injections
- Facet blocks and radiofrequency ablations for spinal facet joint pain of the neck, mid back and low back
- Sacroiliac joint injections and nerve ablations
- Peripheral nerve blocks and ablations
- Joint injections for shoulder, hip and knee pain
- Peripheral nerve ablations for knee and hip arthritis
- Stellate ganglion, celiac plexus and lumbar sympathetic blocks
- Trigger point injections
- Occipital nerve blocks for headache
- Trialing and implantation of spinal stimulators, including dorsal root ganglion stimulation
For those procedures that require X-ray guidance we have a fluoroscopy suite in each pain clinic location. We also routinely utilize ultrasound guidance for appropriate interventions. Surgical procedures are performed in the outpatient operating rooms at Rutledge Tower in downtown Charleston.
A comprehensive approach to managing pain often includes medications. Our physicians are knowledgeable in the indications and proper use of a wide variety of medications that can be used for pain. The policy of the pain management care team is to provide consultation services with our patients’ primary care providers to coordinate and optimize medication management. We may prescribe medication long enough to establish what is most appropriate and effective; however, we do not have the resources to manage patients for long term prescribing of medications, including chronic opioid therapy. Accordingly, a collaborative agreement with each patient’s primary care provider is required before the care team will take over the prescribing of medications. Therefore, we do not prescribe any controlled substances on the initial consultation visit or any subsequent visit until the primary care provider collaborative agreement is in place.
The Pain Management Care Team sees patients the following locations.
MUSC Health — Rutledge Tower
135 Rutledge Avenue
Suite 942 R
Charleston, SC 29425
West Ashley Medical Pavilion
2125 Charlie Hall Boulevard
Charleston, SC 29414
East Cooper Medical Pavilion
1600 Midtown Avenue
Mount Pleasant, SC
Patients are scheduled by referral from a specialist or primary care physician.