Skip Navigation
request an appointment my chart notification lp musc-logo-white-01 facebook twitter youtube blog find a provider circle arrow
MUSC mobile menu
Weight Management Center

Noah's Weight Loss Story

Note: Confidentiality is of the utmost importance to us at the MUSC Health Weight Management Center. The patients listed on our website have granted us express permission to share their program results and pictures, as well as their names, with our website visitors.

Noah Before and After

Noah before and after

Noah before and after

Age: 37
Program: Focus
Start Date: 10/02/07
End Date: 02/06/08

Weight Changes:

  • Weight Loss: 225.2 to 164 (lost 61.2 lbs and 27.2% of his starting weight)
  • Body Mass Index (BMI): 34.8 to 27.1

Blood Lipid Changes:

  • Total Cholesterol: 153 (healthy) to 116 (healthier)
  • LDL (bad) Cholesterol: 74 (healthy) to 60 (healthier)
  • HDL (good) Cholesterol: 32 (low) to 49 (healthy)
  • Triglycerides: 235 (high) to 34 (healthy)
  • Blood Pressure: 140/80 (high) to 118/70 (healthy)

Body Composition Changes:

  • Body Fat %: 30.2% to 13.9% (reduced body fat by 16.3 percentage points, which represents a 54.1% reduction in this measure)
  • Waist: 46" to 31" (lost 15 inches)
  • Hips: 46.5" to 38.25" (lost 8.25 inches)

Other Notable Successes:

Patient has become a regular runner. He improved his time in the Cooper River Bridge Run from 77 minutes in 2007 to 52:32 in 2008. He is now regularly running half-marathons (13.1 miles) and other various races.

Overcoming Obstacles (in patient's own words):

"The biggest obstacle I had when losing weight was 'lunch.' I work in an office where everyone goes to lunch together. So lunch is a big social event. The first week I just made up reasons not to go, then I decided to tell everyone what I was doing. They were very supportive. I decided to drink my shake and then go with them to lunch and just have water. It was weird at first, but the payoff of being with everyone was worth it."

"Now I take my lunch to work for the most part, but after learning how to eat correctly, I actually have a few places I can eat out for lunch."

"I have to say that the breakthrough moment for me was when I was told to think about how I tackle problems at work and use the same thought process for losing weight. That was when I made up graphs and charts on my computer to track my weight and steps. I tell everyone I know that if you have the facts staring you in the face every morning, its hard to hide from reality. I could see that if I dropped off my exercise and did not get in my steps I did not lose as much weight."

"It has been over two months now and I still weigh myself and I still wear a pedometer. I don't have any plans of stopping."

Update from Noah (3/12/09)

"It has been a little over a year and I still am about the same weight as when I finished. I have completed three half marathons (1:52:06 PB so far) and a bunch of 10k's and 5k's."

"On February 14, 2009, I ran my first marathon. I am attaching the write up from my blog. I just wanted to say thank you once again for making this possible. I still can not believe how much of a difference you all made in my life; you really gave me the jump start that I needed.

Thanks, Noah

Noah's Marathon
(from Noah's blog)

I ran my first marathon on Saturday, February 14, 2009 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and finished!  It was an amazing experience.  I trained for this race for the past few months, Jen (my wife) and Peyton (my five year old son) helping me on all of my long runs (14, 16, 18 and 20 mile runs) and supporting me throughout my training.  What a great team!

The start was a little chilly at fifty degrees.  Jen and Peyton woke up with me at 4:30am.  They drove me to the starting line where I waited with six thousand other runners and walkers.  I found a nice warm spot with about twenty other runners next to a generator until the start of the race.  At this point I was feeling nervous, but really happy.  I talked to this guy who was running his ninety-ninth marathon.  When I told him that this was my first marathon he acted more impressed than I did when he told me how many he had run.  What a crazy bunch of people I have joined...

Miles one through five were perfect, not too fast and not too slow.  Miles six through ten felt great - I was a little ahead of my pace.  I was thinking to myself that this is a piece of cake!  Miles eleven through thirteen were wonderful.  Mile thirteen was a little hard as the runners of the Half Marathon approached their finish line (this is a little daunting when you know you have another half to go).  Fourteen and Fifteen seemed fine and I was now counting down the miles (only eleven miles to go!).

At mile sixteen the first sign of trouble hit; my left calf started to cramp.  I kept thinking, "This is not happening."  I slowed a little and the cramp seemed to go away.  Just then I hit mile seventeen.  I could see Jen and Peyton standing in front of our hotel waiving and smiling.  What an incredible feeling that was.  I was filled with so much joy.  Jen came out and gave me a quick hug and kiss.  Peyton watched me with big bright eyes and it made me feel like a hero!  This was the best.

Miles eighteen through twenty were getting hard.  I felt great from seeing Jen and Peyton, but I was worried about the cramps.  I drank and ate everything I could throughout the race, but it was not enough.  At mile twenty-one my legs cramped up again.  This was the worst pain I had ever felt.  It felt like marbles were rolling around in my calves.  I slowed down and I tried to change strides, but nothing seemed to help.  As I came to mile twenty-two I was thinking, "Why did I do this?  What is wrong with me?  What made me think I could do a marathon?"  It was at this point that I felt that I could go no further; I wanted to quit.  I saw the first aid station and as I passed it, another runner asked me if I need to go back to get checked out.  I made the decision to go on.  I knew that if I stopped I would never be able to continue running.  So I kept running, then the rain started to fall.

Miles twenty-two through twenty-four are a blur.  I know that I was thinking about Jen and Peyton waiting for me at the finish line.  I was thinking about all the work I had put in for this race and the support Jen had given me while I went running for hours at a time.  Then I saw the marker for mile twenty-five.  At this point I knew I could finish the race.

Mile twenty-six flew by until I saw the final shoot for the last two tenths of a mile.  I had no idea I would be so emotional about finishing this race.  Then I heard my name over the loud speaker and at the same time I saw Jen and Peyton waiting for me at the finish line.  Jen had tears in her eyes and that sent me off the deep end.  This was, at once, one of the most incredible and most painful moments of my life.

Finishing the race in four hours and twenty-seven minutes was not the goal I had originally set.  But the feeling of accomplishment, pride and joy of finishing the race was better than anything I could have ever imagined.


Not intended to portray all results. Of course, individual outcomes vary and depend in part on degree of program adherence. That being said, our patients generally do very well!


Contact Us

We're located in the Institute of Psychiatry building at 67 President Street in downtown Charleston. We also offer a Tuesday afternoon clinic in North Charleston at 8471 Resolute Way.

Call us at 843-792-2273 or 800-553-7489. Fax us at 843-792-5432.

Weight Management Center Voted Best in Charleston

WMC voted best weight loss center in Charleston