MUSC Health Bladder & Pelvic Health Program
Conservative estimates are that at least 25-40 million Americans suffer from these conditions. Although both men and women are affected, women are represented in disproportionate numbers with as many as 1 in 3 affected by some level of bladder leakage. Since many of these disorders co-exist, comprehensive evaluation and therapy is absolutely essential. Fortunately, over the past few years, more accurate diagnosis has led to improvement in non-surgical and surgical outcomes, and better patient satisfaction.
The multidisciplinary MUSC Health Bladder and Pelvic Health Program is a regional and national program for the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of all non-cancerous disorders of the pelvis. Through the combined experience and cooperation of three well-established disciplines at the Medical University of South Carolina: urology, gynecology, and colorectal surgery, we offer an efficient, cost-effective and comprehensive evaluation and treatment program.
Department of OB/GYN
The department of OB/GYN at MUSC Health is an integral part of the MUSC Health Bladder and Pelvic Program. Together, with the department of urology, the program is able to provide multidisciplinary and comprehensive care to its patients.
We see and care for all forms of pelvic floor dysfunction from new patients without prior treatment to complicated patients with multiple problems and failed prior treatments. Pelvic floor dysfunction is our specialty. At the MUSC Health Bladder and Pelvic Health Program, we treat patients from the Charleston area, and also have patients referred from all over the Southeast including upstate South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, and beyond.
Our advanced diagnostic techniques, nationally and internationally-renown physicians, and full range of therapeutic options including non-invasive, minimally-invasive/day surgical procedures, and ability to do complex pelvic floor reconstructive surgery make us the provider of choice. As part of MUSC Health, we take care of patients with pelvic floor disorders who are relatively healthy and patients with pelvic floor disorders who are very sick. In fact, we welcome patients with complications who have experienced failed therapies or surgeries elsewhere. We have helped many individuals who were considered “hopeless” by others. We also welcome individuals seeking second opinions. With offices in downtown Charleston, Mount Pleasant and North Charleston, we combine the expertise of the Medical University of South Carolina with the comfort, convenience, and service of a suburban office.
We provide individualized care. There is no single solution that fits all persons with pelvic floor disorders. We, therefore, take into account each individual’s needs, wants, desires, and limitations, and construct an individualized program for that person. Using state-of-the-art diagnostic techniques, we carefully and completely evaluate the whole person. We prescribe a treatment plan only after carefully examining the alternatives, pros and cons, as well as the risks and benefits of each course of therapy. We strive to produce an outstanding level of service and care at all times. We maintain privacy and professionalism as we work to restore dignity and to improve quality of life for our patients.
We treat the following conditions:
Uncomplicated pelvic floor disorders
- New or preexisting urinary incontinence (female and male)
- Overactive bladder
- Urinary frequency, urgency
- Nocturia (waking up at night to urinate)
- Pelvic floor (vaginal) prolapse (cystocele, rectocele, “dropped bladder”, etc.)
- Urinary tract infections (cystitis, etc.)
- Enlarged prostate (BPH) and other prostate problems
- “Dropped bladder”
- Urinary tract obstruction
- Other conditions
Complex and/or complicated
- Vaginal prolapse with or without urinary incontinence
- Neurogenic bladder dysfunction/neurological disease
- Interstitial cystitis
- Prior pelvic radiotherapy for cancer
- Urinary fistula
- Urethral diverticula
- Urinary retention
- Other conditions
Advanced diagnostic capabilities
- Urine analysis
- Computerized uroflowmetry
- Post void residual urine determination
- Fiber optic and rigid cystoscopy
Therapies, treatments, interventions
- Non-surgical therapies of UI, pelvic floor dysfunction, IC, etc.
- Dietary, fluid, lifestyle interventions, etc.
- Behavior modification/coping skills to maximize bladder control
- Pelvic floor physiotherapy
- Electrical stimulation
- Implementation of the use of appropriate collection devices, catheters or products (to include management strategies where appropriate)
Minimally Invasive Surgery
- DaVinci Surgical System
- Laser surgery
- “Keyhole” surgery
- Outpatient/same day surgery procedures (“in and out”) for incontinence
- Injectable therapy for incontinence
- Slings: male and female
- Reparative surgery, previously failed surgery
- Urinary diversion (continent and incontinent reconstruction)
- Urinary fistula
- Urethral diverticula
- Incontinence following prostate surgery
- Incontinence associated with radiation, neurologic
- Bladder enlargement
- Artificial urinary sphincters
- Anorectal (stool or bowel) incontinence
- Urethral stent
- Bladder Fistula
- Interstitial Cystitis
- Overactive Bladder
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Urethral Diverticulum
- Urinary Incontinence
Currently, we are engaged in multiple cutting-edge research projects. These are desirable trials, and because of our reputation, we are often invited to participate. Frequently, this research allows us to offer the latest technological advancements in bioengineering, biotechnology, and products from the pharmaceutical industry to our patients before they are available to the general public. Participation in such research endeavors is ALWAYS disclosed ahead of time, is entirely voluntary, and usually free of charge.
Downtown Charleston Office
MUSC Rutledge Tower
135 Rutledge Avenue
Charleston, SC 29425
Parking for Rutledge Tower is available in the Ashley-Rutledge parking garage, accessible from both Ashely and Rutledge Avenues.
MUSC Health Urology Mount Pleasant
East Cooper Medical Pavilion
1600 Midtown Avenue
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
MUSC Health Urology North Area
North Charleston Medical Pavilion
8992 University Boulevard
North Charleston, SC 29406