Skull Base Center
MUSC Health’s Skull Base Center is among a select few centers in the country that exclusively treats problems of the skull base, or cranium floor. People with skull base disorders face special challenges because the treatment area is so difficult to access.
At MUSC Health, we have the largest team of exceptionally skilled skull base experts in the Southeast region. Here, you will find compassionate care for the most complicated conditions.
Skull Base Surgery at MUSC Health: Why Choose Us?
When you come to MUSC Health for skull base surgery, you benefit from:
Depth of experience
Our doctors have specialized training in the treatment of skull base disorders, allowing us to provide an accurate diagnosis and the most effective treatment plan for you. Our team’s accomplishments include:
- First in the nation for repairing cerebrospinal fluid leaks, a problem that occurs when a hole develops between the brain’s lining (the dura) and skull
- Top 20 percent in volume in the country for treating acoustic neuromas, or benign (noncancerous) inner ear tumors
- First in South Carolina for the treatment of benign and malignant (cancerous) skull base tumors
Skull base surgery is a highly complex procedure. Our team’s access to cutting-edge technology ensures the highest level of care for you. Here, you will find:
- Gamma Knife Center: An all-inclusive Gamma Knife Center (precision radiation treatment) for the noninvasive treatment of skull base lesions
- Hearing preservation: Only center in the state to offer hearing preservation surgery when treating acoustic neuromas, or benign inner ear tumors. When needed, our audiology program provides hearing aid services.
- Minimally invasive procedures: Endoscopic procedures treat the targeted area via a small opening inside the nose or mouth. Because doctors do not remove large parts of the skull, you recover more quickly and have a lower risk of complications like infection.
- TORS surgery: First in South Carolina to perform transoral robotic surgery (TORS) to remove tumors in the back of the throat, tonsils and base of the tongue
Before and after surgery, you also benefit from:
- Neuroradiology: Advanced imaging technology provides our dedicated team of neuroradiologists with unparalleled diagnostic ability
- Neurophysiology lab: Our sophisticated neurophysiology lab allows us to:
- More accurately diagnose skull base conditions
- Perform intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring (IONM) of the brain, nerves and spinal cord during surgeries to treat acoustic neuromas, brain tumors and aneurysms
- Intensive care: The state’s only neuroscience intensive care unit (NSICU) for around-the-clock critical care of patients with skull base disorders
- Rehab services: Specialized rehabilitation services via our occupational therapy neurological rehabilitation services program
Care that focuses on you
- Teamwork: Your team of more than 30 doctors is committed to providing you with the highest level of care. We work with you to develop a treatment plan that addresses your specific health challenges. Your team includes:
- Ear, nose and throat doctors (neurotologists and rhinologists)
- Head and neck surgeons
- Neurology specialists
- Plastic surgeons
- Convenience: Our dedicated patient care coordinator guides you through the surgery process and schedules appointments with all specialists in one visit, saving you time and travel. In addition to our main campus in downtown Charleston, we also provide skull base care at our North Charleston and Mount Pleasant clinics. See our clinic locations.
- Concierge services: Our guest services staff is here to help with travel and lodging arrangements or other needs.
Skull Base Conditions We Treat
Our doctors diagnose and treat a variety of skull base disorders, including:
To learn more about skull base surgery at MUSC Health or to schedule an appointment, please call 843-792-3277 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refer a Patient
We offer several convenient ways to refer patients to our Skull Base Center: