|Please Read Carefully|
MUSC Medical Center Employees are committed to providing EXCELLENCE in patient care, teaching and research in an environment that is RESPECTFUL of others, ADAPTIVE to change, and ACCOUNTABLE for outcomes.
Individually Employees, as well as Applicants, must pledge to practice the following standards of behavior for the benefit of our colleagues and the betterment of the MUSC Medical Center.
- maintain a positive, willing and flexible attitude;
- be a team player and remove the phrase, “It’s not my job” from my vocabulary;
- work collaboratively to help others;
- be proactive in identifying opportunities for individual growth and departmental improvement;
- be receptive to constructive criticism;
- promote cooperation between co-workers/departments;
- embrace change and offer suggestions for resolutions to problems; and respect and listen to my co-workers’ ideas.
- treat patients, visitors, and colleagues with respect and courtesy;
- AIDET – Acknowledge the person, Introduce myself, establish a Duration, provide an Explanation
- and say “ Thank You;”
- follow the 10/5 rule; acknowledge the person 10 feet away by making eye contact, smiling and saying “hello” at 5 feet away;
- help lost guests find their way by walking them to their destination when needed;
- embrace diversity throughout the workplace with patients and their families by making a genuine effort to understand their needs;
- respect the individuality, privacy and dignity of patients, visitors, and colleagues;
- take all measures to protect the privacy of patients, including discussing the patient’s health care in a private place;
- practice telephone etiquette by answering the telephone: 1) within three rings, 2) with energy and vitality, and 3) stating “Good morning," department name, and “How may I help you?;”
- keep all interactions positive by not engaging in negative behaviors such as gossiping, back-stabbing, non-verbal negative insinuations, undermining, withholding, infighting and arrogance;
- keep all interactions positive and discuss internal issues only with those who need to know;
- refrain from criticizing MUSC in the workplace and in the presence of our customers;
- practice elevator etiquette: allow visitors to enter and exit first and do not discuss patient information;
- show respect for all employees regardless of their position in the hierarchy of the organization; and
- not use any electronic communication device (e.g., cell phone, Blackberry, pager, PDA, internet) for personal business while working.
- welcome new employees to my department;
- answer questions posed by patients, students or staff to ensure understanding and facilitate learning;
- manage up, speaking well of each other, co-workers and medical staff.
- take pride in the workplace and help keep my work area clean by cleaning up litter, debris and spills promptly; and
- maintain a safe environment for our patients, their families and our employees by:
- understanding all safety codes and knowing how to respond to them;
- using security measures when appropriate; and
- understanding and following the National Patient Safety goals.
- adhere to the MUSC Code of Conduct;
- strive to exceed attendance expectations in order to provide consistency in quality of service;
- be fiscally responsible by not wasting time or resources;
- wear my badge at lapel level with photo facing out;
- wear appropriate clothing that is in compliance with departmental standard and image policies;
- take pride in my overall appearance;
- take responsibility for making sure that my actions, behaviors and decisions reflect positively on MUSC;
- support a culture that finds solutions, rather than one that makes excuses or blames others;
- hold myself and staff accountable for providing professional and reliable service in a consistent manner;
- adopt and promote AIDET in all appropriate actions;
- communicate any concerns, suggestions and ideas to my supervisor in an open and honest manner;
- uphold patient, employee and institutional confidentiality;
- complete all mandatory training and maintain appropriate credentials/licensure;
- collaborate with colleagues of other departments to ensure success of the institution;
- adhere to and uphold all MUSC policies and procedures;
- acknowledge and respond to e-mail, voice mail and other forms of communication in a professional and timely manner.
- attend and participate in staff meetings and other meetings as required; and
- be punctual for meetings and appointments.
I have reviewed the MUSC Medical Center's "Standards of Behavior" and agree to abide by the contents of the Standards.
Click "Accept" to confirm your commitment.
I have reviewed the MUSC Medical Center's "Standards of Behavior" and DO NOT agree to abide by the contents of the Standards.
Click "Decline" to reject your commitment.