Bridging the Gap
Do you frequently find yourself interpreting for friends and family? Would you like to put your bilingual skills to use? Then Bridging the Gap is for you!
Bridging the Gap is an internationally renowned medical interpreter training program that has been preparing bilingual individuals to work as effective, competent, and professional medical interpreters for over 20 years. Other comparable college programs can cost hundreds extra and with Bridging the Gap you’ll receive your certificate of training after only completing 40 hours of training. No interpreting experience is required in order to enroll in the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify barriers to effective communication in interpreted sessions and describe the roles of the interpreter in overcoming these barriers.
- Identify the common values found in the three main codes of ethics for interpreters in health care.
- Develop and implement techniques for facilitating a successful interpreting session and strategies for handling difficult interpreting circumstances.
- Elaborate on the significance of culture in the medical interpreting process.
- Identify strategies to navigate bumps between biomedical culture and a patient’s culture.
- List the factors that shape the United States health care system.
- Interpret prefixes, suffixes, and roots of compound words seen commonly in medical encounters.
- Distinguish the various common diseases and treatments associated with each body system.
WHO SHOULD ENROLL
- Bilingual health care providers and professionals who also serve as interpreters in the workplace
- Bilingual individuals who wish to pursue a career in professional medical interpreting
- Bilingual individuals who wish to become a certified medical interpreter**
** For interpreters to be eligible for national certification from the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI) or Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI), they need to complete a minimum of 40-hour interpreter training.
** American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreters are able to register as well. This Course has been approved for 3.725 Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf Continuing Education Units (RID CEUs). You must attend the entire course to receive credit.
** Medical University of South Carolina is an approved Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf Certification Maintenance Program (RID CMP) Sponsor for continuing education activities. This Professional Studies program is offered for 3.725 CEUs at the Little/None Content Knowledge Level.
- Complete a language proficiency assessment (LPA) for English and their target language
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
The cost of this program is $650 (six hundred fifty dollars). Course tuition includes:
- $150 (one hundred fifty dollars) Non-refundable deposit (required at the time of registration)
- Oral Language Proficiency Assessment (LPA)
- Bridging the Gap Textbook and course materials
- Certificate of Completion
** No cash will be accepted; all fees must be paid using a major credit/debit card. To make a payment, please call 843-792-9055
In order to register for this program, applicants must do the following:
- Applicants within the hospital can register for the class at http://myquest.musc.edu. Applicants outside of the hospital can register for the class at http://musc.edu/musclearning.
- Create a MyQuest account. Once your account is created, log into your account. In the search toolbar type Bridging the Gap and click on the course. Read the course information and select desired course date to enroll.
- Your enrollment in the program is contingent upon meeting the course prerequisites, course fees are paid in full, and successfully pass an oral language assessment.
- Payment of the $150 non-refundable deposit must be paid at the time of registration submission
- When we receive your completed registration and the non-refundable deposit, we will send you instructions via email on scheduling the Language Proficiency Assessment. This Assessment is administered by ALTA Language Services. Applicants must score a minimum of 10 on a 12-point scale on the LPA in order to be accepted into the program.
- You will be notified of the results of the LPA by email. An acceptance letter will be sent to those who pass.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND
- If you cancel your enrollment, all fees up to $500 (five hundred dollars) will be credited to you for enrollment in another Bridging the Gap course. No refunds will be given.
- Cancellations are accepted up to 10 business days prior to course start date for a tuition credit. All cancellation notices must be received in writing via email at email@example.com
- No tuition credits will be offered if the participant attends any portion of the training and then discontinues attendance for the remainder, including no-shows. No exceptions.