Skip Navigation
request an appointment my chart notification lp musc-logo-white-01 facebook twitter youtube blog find a provider circle arrow
MUSC mobile menu

Academic Coursework

Instructions for Academic Coursework

It's as easy as 1, 2, 3… 

NOTE: Academic Coursework can earn RID CEUs after the course has been completed. The course must be taken within your current CMP cycle.

Step One: Choose the course you want to attend at an accredited college or university. The course does not have to pertain strictly to interpreting; it can be a course in Linguistics, Business, Psychology, Social Work, etc. As long as the course is educationally beneficial to you as an interpreter, it can earn CEUs for you!

NOTE: Language, interpreting, and culture courses are considered as "professional studies."  Other courses would be processed as "general" studies unless justification is made to link the course content to the job of interpreting

Step Two: Download the following:

Step Three: Email the Activity Report and all required documentation for review and approval by MUSC. Required documentation is listed on the Checklist you downloaded above and includes a transcript demonstrating a grade of C or higher (2.0 or higher), a course outline and proof that the college/university is accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) to MUSC. 

The standard formula for determining the number of CEUs per course is as follows:

  • 1.5 CEUs per credit hour for a course taken in a semester session
  • CEUs per credit hour for a course taken in a quarter session 

Step Four: MUSC will review your documentation and notify you of the results. If approved, you will receive a notification to pay for the CEUs. Once payment is received, MUSC will post the CEUs to RID on your behalf.